ArmorSuit MilitaryShield – Screen Protector Shield for The New iPad 3rd Gen / iPad 2 with Lifetime Replacements
This kit includes: MilitaryShield for your device, installation card, application solution, micro-fiber cloth, detailed instructions manual & ArmorSuit Lifetime Replacement Warranty.
ArmorSuit-MilitaryShield is extremely transparent and formulated against UV for anti-yellowing, in order to protect your device. ArmorSuit-MilitaryShield is made from the same protection film material used to protect military aircrafts, helicopters and space shuttles. MilitaryShield also equipped with "self-healing" technology to further extend the protection. The self-healing technology will eliminate minor scratches on the film over period of time. Our MilitaryShield has also been precisely cut to provide perfect fitting invisibly protect your device. You can relax and stop worrying about permanent scratches on your device because our MilitaryShield provides you a peace of mind to keep your device away from any scratches. ArmorSuit MilitaryShield features corrosion and moisture protection, it prevent moisture from migrating through film to attack underlying substrates.It also provides erosion and impact protection, it protect paint, plastics, metals and composites from sand, rock, rain, and debris damage. Also protects against general wear, rubbing, chaffing, abrading, scraping, etc.
How to Remove the MilitaryShield:
If you ever need to remove the ArmorSuit MilitaryShield, JUST PEEL IT OFF with your bare hands, it comes off clean and leaves NO sticky residue.
*Made in the USA*
- Compatible with The New iPad 3rd Gen (All Version) / iPad 2 & Work Perfectly with Smart Cover
- Optically clear & Non-sticky outer surface
- Self-healing, Military grade material engineered for your specific device
- Reduces Grease & Fingerprint, Scratch Proof Protection & Abrasion, erosion, scratch, puncture, and impact resistant
- ArmorSuit Lifetime Replacement Warranty *Made in the USA*
- Product Dimensions: 12 x 2 x 2 inches ; 7 ounces
- Shipping Weight: 8 ounces
- ASIN: B004RDWVUS
- Date first available at Amazon.com: April 28, 2011
Finally….the PERFECT iPad2 shield!
I think I’ve tried them all, the Zagg shield, the Zagg smudge-proof/anti-glare, GreatShield, a couple of knock-offs and now, FINALLY, I’ve found the perfect cover! Here’s the rundown on previous items tried:
Zagg Invisible Shield – hated the feel – fingers dont’ glide smoothly on the material
Zagg anti-glare – AWFUL – opaque shield really dimmed the screen and dampened the colors, absolutely crap in the sun, strange gritty feel
GreatShield – too thick and opaque, again cut down the screen’s brilliance
knock-offs/store brands – every one I tried was junk
This shield, however, is terrific. Visually, I can tell it is even on – the screen has it’s original brilliance and colors are amazing. The feel is unnoticeable…just like it should be. My fingers glide across the screen like they are on glass yet the material makes the iPad easier to hang on to since its not slick like glass, especially with the back protector in place.
I was a little upset with the back piece when I applied it since the corners didn’t look like they were going to stay in place. I soaked them down with spray and smoothed them out and then just let the pad sit for a few hours. As the shield dried the corner tabs molded right in and are perfect now.
After installing 6 or 8 of these things now I think the key, besides finding the right product, is PROPER INSTALLATION.
INSTALLATION – I see a lot of people complaining about installation. I’ve installed 3 of these now with absolutely no trouble. Here’s how:
1) Turn the iPad completely off
2) Clean the screen until it is COMPLETELY SPOTLESS and free of any debris, hair or fuzz. I used my eyeglass cleaning wipes and cloth.
3) Look at the screen from all angles and from different heights to MAKE SURE IT IS COMPLETELY CLEAN. This is imperative!
4) Find a wide open surface where you can work – preferably from a chair/stool
5) Lay down paper towel
6) Put iPad on paper towel
7) Mist your hands with the solution
8) Mist the iPad with solution – yes, the instructions say not to but I think they do that to reduce their liability. The step is KEY to simple install
9) Carefully peel off the shield and hold it by draping it over the palm of one hand, sticky side up.
10) Mist the sticky side of the shield. The shield and the iPad should be really wet.
11) Hold the screen by two corners and carefully position it over the iPad – don’t worry if the positioning isnt perfect yet
12) When it is on the iPad you can now move it around to the perfect spot by carefully tugging on the corners.
13) Once you are happy with the location, take out the squeegee and start at one corner and work the solution and bubbles out across the iPad. Work in one general direction, smoothly and gently
14) Look for bubbles and work them out if you see any.
15) Don’t be afraid to pull it off, re-spray the pad and shield and try again
16) When complete…let it sit for a couple of hours AT LEAST
I installed this last shield in about 90 seconds – this is not a difficult task. Use a lot of solution and be patient.
I use my iPad on the road, on construction sites and in all types of conditions. So far this one has held up the best although I’ve only had it on a couple of week. I’ll post an update when I’ve had it on a couple of months.
*** UPDATE – May 21, 2012: I’ve been using the shield for 4 months now and it’s still looking great. One corner is starting to curl up due to hundreds of trips in and out of my briefcase and the wear and tear of clicking in and out of my car mount. Other than that the protector looks and works great. My iPad gets a serious workout so I’m still thoroughly impressed with this cover. I even purchased one for my daughter for her new iPad3. I will definitely be purchasing another for mine. ***
*** UPDATE #2 – July 25, 2012: Well, it almost made it 6 months but I’ve snagged the corners too many times so I think it’s time for a new shield. 95% of the front shield and 100% of the back shield still look great but two corners on the front are a little dog eared. This shield has certainly impressed me and exceeded my expectations. I will definitely be getting another one just like it.
*** UPDATE #3 – September 25, 2012: The time finally came to order a new shield and I did order another ArmorSuit (three actually) since I needed one and bought one for my wife and daughter for their iPads. Mine went on my iPad2 and the others on iPad3s – product still looks as good as ever. I can’t imagine finding a better option but I’ll certainly keep my eyes open and let you know if I find one.
ArmorSuit Screen Protector for iPad 3rd Gen
I bought this screen protector for my new iPad and have been using it for a little over a month now. The product works as advertised so far. Once installed, it disappears and you can’t even tell it’s there. The item is a little pricey and installation might be tricky to some as most people would be hesitant to spray any type of liquid on their expensive iPads. But, I’ve installed window tinting on my home so I’m somewhat familiar with the process. The thing to keep in mind is to keep the area and the iPad display as clean as possible during the installation as any type of dust on the screen will show.
The Best iPad Glass Shield Protector
I have been in love with the ArmorSuit MilitaryShield – Screen Protector Shield for The New iPad since I’ve received it. It was easy to apply the shield and has protected my screen from the elements, scratches and dings caused by fingernails. It is extremely durable and work wonderfully when protecting the iPad glass. I highly recommend this product to others looking for a glass shield!
Seller offers incentives for 5 star reviews, but it is a good product
After buying the cover, I received an email from the seller, offering discounts or perhaps free merchandise–I’ve forgotten, but I was very disappointed by it. It made me realize how easy it is to slant reviews on Amazon.
However, the product was good–a bit tricky to apply, but my wife is really good at this sort of thing. (It was her iPad), and she made it look easy.
Recently, after realizing how my own Nook Color’s cover was showing signs of wear, I decided to get another cover for it. That evening, I was looking at her iPad, and thought she’d discarded its cover. I asked her and she told me she hadn’t. I was so impressed by the cover’s transparency that I then ordered one for my Nook, even though it’s about $10 more than the one I’d bought before.
It really is completely unnoticeable if properly applied. However, be aware of the mass of 5 star reviews. They may be sincere, or they may have gotten an extra star in response to the seller’s offering of incentives. I don’t know if the seller still offers this incentive–at the time, I didn’t give it a review because I was too annoyed–I bought this back in May. At any rate, as they do seem to monitor reviews, maybe they’ll realize that sooner or later, more people will mention this offer of incentives and more people will decide that they can’t trust 5 star reviews for the product. In all honesty, I was so impressed by the way, after 4 months, I didn’t even realize there was a cover on my wife’s iPad, I might have given it 5 stars. I give it 4 because it’s a bit tricky to apply correctly, and also in response to the seller’s practice, or at least former practice, of trying to improve their reviews with offers to their buyers.
It is a very good product though, and can stand on its own merits.
Delighted – Nice Screen Protector!
Installation was quick and easy, the product looks great, hard to tell there is a protector on the screen. A couple of installation tips:
1. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!
2. Clean your screen with a cleaner designed for electronic product screens. I used a cleaning solution I purchased at the Apple Store when I bought my iMac a couple of years ago, and I used a microfibre towel to wipe off the cleaning solution.
3. Be sure the screen, sticky side of the protector (you can spray it as you peel it), and your fingers are wet with the solution provided.
4. Lay the protector on the iPad, it will be easy to move around if you have wet the screen and sticky side of the protector adequately. ALIGN THE HOLES FOR THE CAMERA AT THE TOP AND THE SELECT BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM! Especially the hole around the button. If you get this perfectly around the button and then move the top of the screen to align the slit for the camera, the outside edges of the screen protector will align themselves with the edges of the iPad screen.
5. While the whole thing is still wet, hold the screen in place with your fingers by pressing down gently on the screen protector, and start squeegeeing the liquid out from under the protector. Work from the middle outward in all directions, overlap your strokes. Once all of the liquid is out to your satisfaction, let the screen dry for 24 hours. Any air bubbles really do disappear after a couple of days. DO NOT SQUEEGEE THE SCREEN AGAIN AFTER IT HAS STARTED TO DRY! If you do need to run the squeegee again for any reason, BE SURE TO WET THE SURACE OF THE PROTECTOR FIRST WITH THE SOLUTION PROVIDED or you may cause some scratches on the screen. The squegee is rubber and is flexible but the screen is softer material and thinner. If you get all of the liquid out with the squeegee on your first try and the button and camera holes are aligned, leave the thing alone to dry for 24 hours. I wasn’t careful with the holes at first and allowed the holes to misalign slightly, so I pulled the protector off and sprayed the screen and the sticky side of the protector, but NOT THE SURFACE OF THE PROTECTOR, so it was mostly dry when I squeegeed the liquid out again, and this caused a couple of light scratches until I noticed what was happening. I resprayed the surface again, which prevented further scratches. Lets be clear, the scratches are minor and were my fault but can be prevented if you ensure the surface is wet.
The whole thing is aligned and dry now, the two air bubbles I had are gone, and the screen is protected, and I don’t even notice the two or three light scratches I caused unless I look for them.
Overall pretty simple. These tips are mostly contained in the instructions that came with the protector.
Overall highly satisfied with this product.
Don’t freak out if it is a little smeary looking at first
I’m pretty good at putting these on but kept freaking out because it looked smeary underneath. Got all the bubbles out but kept pulling it up and redoing it since NO ONE mentioned this effect (smeariness) in the reviews or the how-to video. Finally got tired of messing with it and went to bed. In the morning it was crystal clear. So do yourself a favor and just line it up and get the bubbles out and go to bed.
I can’t comment on the longevity of the product but it does showcase the iPad 4′s gorgeous display nicely. Not much glare and crystal clear unlike some of the matte protectors that, while yes, they have little glare, make the screen slightly fuzzy. Such a shame. So I am happy with the product but am deducting one star for not having the decency to mention that some smeariness is normal and will clear up.
Cautions when installing
I carefully followed the step-by-step instructions so kindly left by another Amazon user. Basic installation sounds scary, but it really isn’t difficult at all. But I encountered two highly annoying issues that I need to mention to potential buyers.
First: do NOT use the black lintless cloth included in the kit to clean your iPad screen before installation. I found out later, during installation, that the edges of the cloth shred and leave little black dots on the screen. This was a real pain to handle–I had to peel back the shield, wet the heck out of the sticky side and lift and scrape the black dots off the shield surface with the provided squeegee. I recommend you use something soft and truly lintless–like a linen dishtowel–to clean the surface before installing. (The deficient cleaning cloth is the reason for the four-star rating.)
Second: Do NOT install the shield while sitting at a table below an operating ceiling fan. It took me a while to figure out that the air circulating downward was depositing little bits of dust and hair on the sticky side of the shield when I lifted it to clean off the above-mentioned black dots. These bits of stuff were terribly difficult to remove from the sticky side of the shield–I resorted to spraying and scraping, spraying and scraping multiple times.
I think I managed to clean off all the mini-debris deposited by the cloth and ceiling fan. We’ll see when the shield dries. Even now, after only about an hour, it looks pretty good, but the real test will come when I turn it back on.
I think if you heed the two problems I mentioned above, you’ll find the shield easy and kind of fun to install.
UPDATE: So when it was time, I turned on the iPad and–yikes!!–a cluster of teeny black dots from that darn cleaning cloth stared up at me from just left-of-center of screen. Disgusting. I peeled off the whole shield, cleaned the screen, and confronted the impossibility of cleaning the remnants of the cloth off the sticky side of the shield. So now my iPad screen is naked, albeit in a good case. (If someone knows how to clean the sticky side of the shield–please post!) The part of the screen that was not disfigured by debris from the cloth looked great, so this is a real heart-breaker.
I saw the armorsuit cart at the mall but i didnt want to spend so much for them to install it….so I decided to buy it on here and install it myself. Even though it was the first time I installed a shield It was actually very easy to install if you get your fingertips and the shield moist with the spray provided. Its not sticky and you can glide your fingers across the screen very easily. I love it and my Ipad fells very well protected.
First timer – great product
This is the first time ive put a screen protector on an item and got it near perfect.
Okay first about the installation process. I actually took the time to read all the instructions AND watch the video. My suggestion – do the same, it really helps.
Make sure to spray the solution on your fingers or your gonna leave finger prints, and spray generously.
After i got the shield on, and squeezed all the solution out. There were some spots that would not go away.
VERY IMPORTANT :-
Be patient and Be willing to give it 24 hours. Within 24 hours my screen was 99% perfect and then within the next few days perfect.
It worked beautifully.
Now for the product itself. I have had no issues using it with the ipad. I really like there is some feel and resistance to it. I have tried some protectors (on my frieds ipad and glaxy) and I felt that my finger slipped too much across the screen protector and did not offer much resistance.
This one offers just enough so that your figer doesnt slip but yet slides smothly.